Sherando High School Band Booster Association, Inc.
Scholarship Program Overview
Sherando High School Band Booster Association, Inc. (Band Booster Association) will issue a minimum of two scholarships every year to graduating student members of the Sherando High School Band & Guard Program. All scholarships will be strictly based on participation and merit. After submission, all applications will receive a number to remove potential bias from the selection process.
MINIMUM ELEGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
Applicant must be a graduating Sherando High School Senior who is currently a member of the band or guard, and who:
• Has achieved at least a grade of “B” in each band and/or guard course taken,
• Has been enrolled in band and/or guard for a minimum of TWO consecutive years in high school, to include the senior year, that which also includes transfer students,
• Regularly participates in band activities including, but not limited to, summer camp, rehearsals, performances, auditions, and assessments,
• Does not owe any delinquent fees to the Band Booster Association.
Applicants must show evidence of intent to attend an accredited institution of higher learning. They are NOT required to declare a music related major for eligibility.
• The application form must be completed in accordance with instructions.
• The essay must be attached to the application for scholarship.
• A copy of a signed acceptance letter for institution and specific degree program to demonstrate intent to attend an institution of higher learning (universities, community colleges, or technical schools).
• All must be submitted by the deadline listed in the application. Late or incomplete application packets will not be considered.
Applications will be reviewed and scored by a selection committee approved by the Band Booster Association board of directors. Parents of senior band students are not eligible to serve on this committee. Selection committee members will include, at a minimum:
• One elected board member of the Band Booster Association,
• One representative of the Sherando High School Guidance Department, and
• One representative from outside Sherando.
Scoring will be based on participation and merit related criteria using objective data submitted by the applicant. All applicants will be ranked overall and within their respective category (band or guard).
ANNOUNCEMENT AND PAYMENT
Recipients will be announced by the Band Booster Association Scholarship Committee Chair. Scholarship money will be paid to the higher learning institution. In the event that a recipient becomes ineligible to receive a scholarship for any reason, the award will be forfeited and returned to the Band Booster Scholarship Fund.